We are serious about clean food at City Grown Seattle. Although we farm in the city, we believe our produce is some of the most nutritious and chemical-free that can be found! From seed to harvest, our small team of farmers handles every step of the process ourselves. Our produce is sold within 1-2 days of harvest. Our veggies travel at most 10 miles from field to consumer, and most of it is sold in the very same neighborhood where it is grown! This ensures that you get the most flavorful and nutrient rich veggies.
We plant flowers/non-edible borders against sidewalks to buffer the veggies from passing cars (and dogs!)
We are not Certified Organic. However, each of us has worked on organic farms in the past and we follow organic practices that we believe would be certifiable. Including:
- No chemical amendments, fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides.
- We use OMRI-certified* materials such as Cedar Grove compost and Walts Organic fertilizer.
- All our weed control is done by hand or flame – no herbicides used.
- We use crop rotation and floating row cover to prevent pests and diseases. Any pest-control products we do use in addition to this are in small amounts, only at critical times, and are all OMRI-certified* (i.e. Sluggo).
- Full materials list available upon request.
* The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) is an international nonprofit organization that determines which input products are allowed for use in organic production and processing. OMRI Listed® products are allowed for use in certified organic operations under the USDA National Organic Program.