Here’s what’s fresh this week:
-Baby lettuce mix
-Green butter lettuce
-Green leaf lettuce
-Red leaf lettuce
-Sugar snap peas
-Edible calendula flowers
-Patty pan summer squash
-Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye (Heirloom) Tomatoes
Other fun stuff:
-Frisky Girl Gardener’s hand soap
-Veggie greeting cards drawn by our friend Jennie Li
-Farmer’s choice flower bouquets (includes zinnias, sunflowers, dahlias, cosmos and/or marigolds)
Veggie of the Week: Carrots!
Crunchy and sweet, carrots are the perfect summertime snack! They can be eaten raw with dip or in a salad, pickled with ginger, roasted, grilled or sauteed to perfection. You can do pretty much anything with carrots, even bake with them! Check out this awesome recipe from Farmer John’s Cookbook for Carrot Apricot Muffins:
-2 cups all purpose flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 large eggs
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1/3 cup buttermilk
-2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
-1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
-1 1/2 cups grated carrots
-1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Generously coat a 12-cup muffin pan with butter or line it with paper muffin cups. Set the pan aside.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Beat in the butter, buttermilk, and orange juice concentrate. Slowly add the flour mixture, stirring lightly and briefly, until just combined. (Avoid overmixing the batter, as this will make the muffins dense and tough.)
4. Add the apricots to the flour mixture. Stir in the carrots and nuts until the ingredients are just combined.
5. Ladle the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup no more than 3/4 full. Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before serving.
See you at the farm stands this week!
Ellen and Ashley
Your City Grown Farmers