Stuffed Pattypan squash
What you need to have ready: Pot for boiling 5-7 pattypan squash, baking dish, large mixing bowl, saute’ pan, separate 2 quart saucepan for rice, if it is not pre-cooked.
**The Stuffing recipe will make more than needed . I used it for stuffed zucchini and mushrooms.
- 5-7 small-medium pattypan squash
- water for to cover for boiling
- 2 cups of pre-cooked brown rice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of baby portabello mushrooms
- 2 cups packed chopped rainbow chard (this is what I had on hand. Any cooking greens will work)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Seasonings: Penzey’s breakfast sausage seasoning. (Similar seasoning: sage and thyme. These vegetables are savory so any seasoning will work. Use what your family likes!)
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- Boil pattypan squash for 15 minutes. If rice is not already cooked, cook it in a separate pan while the squash is boiling. Cook rice and boil squash at the same time and make the stuffing while those two are cooking.
- In the sauté’ pan, add the oil. Let it heat to medium. Add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and rainbow chard. Add Seasoning of choice. Cook 5-7 minutes until done. If the pan gets too dry, add a little water to finish steaming the greens.
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Add the sautéed vegetables to mixing bowl. Add the ricotta. Add the rice. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Remove the squash. Cut off the end AND stem so that they sit flat. Using a small paring knife, cut out a deep pocket. Repeat with the rest of the squash. KEEP THE STUFF YOU CUT OUT. Chop and add it to the mixing bowl.
- Stuff each squash with the vegetable/cheese mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove and top with cheese. Return to oven for 3 minutes until cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Here’s the link to the full recipe: https://www.katrina-runs.com/stuffed-pattypan-squash