Thank you all so much for your support this year! We’ve got 3 more weeks of regularly scheduled farm stands (plus our bonus Thanksgiving stand!) so make sure to use up the rest of your CSA money. For those of you who have already spent your balance, feel free to continue to pre-order and pay at the stand or come shop with us at either farm stand.
Here’s what’s fresh this week:
-Baby lettuce mix
-Spicy salad mix
-Japanese salad turnips
Veggie of the Week: Leeks!
Last week’s recipe for green tomato frittata also featured leeks so this week you’re getting a bonus recipe! Leeks are my favorite member of the allium family (which also includes onions, shallots, garlic, and green onions). They taste of fall and their sweetness can be enjoyed roasted, caramelized or as in this recipe for Potato Leek Soup:
Healthy Luscious Potato Leek Soup
- 3 Large leeks ( 1 ½ inch -2 inches in diameter)
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic-minced
- 1 pound fingerling potato- diced
- 6 cups chicken stock (or veggie stock) or use ½ water
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme (or substitute 1 tsp dry herbs de provence)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- ⅓ cup light sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons scallions for garnish
- Remove leek stems and cut leeks in half length wise. Rinse to remove and dirt. Slice leeks into ¼ inch half rounds. Heat oil in medium sized heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté 3-4 minutes and add onion.
- Continue sautéing for 5 minutes until tender. Add garlic and sauté for 3 more minutes.
- Add potatoes, stock and fresh thyme. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minites, until potatoes are tender.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Blend in batches, until very smooth and silky —remember, you don’t want to fill up a blender with hot liquid, or you will have a soup explosion –so blend in small batches, less than half full, with the lid held down very tightly, holding lid down firmly covered with a kitchen towel.
- Return the silky smooth soup to the pot, bring to a simmer over low heat, and stir in sour cream.
- Serve with fresh scallions.
See the original recipe here: http://www.feastingathome.com/healthy-luscious-potato-leek-soup/
See you at the farm stands this week!
Ellen and Ashley
Your City Grown Farmers