It’s been a wonderful season and there’s still more to come! The countdown begins, there are 5 weeks left of farm stand season so spend your money while you can.
Also, you can still get tickets for our farm to table dinner on October 3rd featuring live music and a silent auction. It’s sure to be an entertaining evening full of delicious City Grown veggies. Plus you’ll help us expand the farm and get supplies for next season so we can connect even more Seattlites to their food and farmers. Go to citygrownseattle.brownpapertickets.com to reserve your spot now!
Here’s what’s fresh this week:
-Baby lettuce mix
-Japanese salad turnips
-Baby bok choi
-Green bell peppers
(Potentially more available for pre-order after Monday night)
Caffe Appassionatto 12oz whole bean Guatemalan
Veggie of the Week: Ground Cherries!
If there’s anything that deserves to be called nature’s candy it’s ground cherries. Also called pineapple tomatillos, these tasty treats come in their own wrapper (husk) and can be popped right into your mouth for ultimate enjoyment. If you can stand not to eat all of them immediately they can also be made into a heavenly salsa. Here’s the recipe:
GROUND CHERRY SALSA
- 1 pound ground cherries (husked, washed, and sliced in half, about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup thinly shaved red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper. For better flavor, let sit for 1 hour before serving.
- 2. Tip: serve with grilled seafood, such as swordfish.
See you at the farm stands this week!
Ellen and Ashley
Your City Grown Farmers